Before trying to unlock your phone, check first if you are eligible to unlock it. At least from your carrier. Here are some notes to ask yourself whether you are eligible or not (Note: Criteria is same for all carriers in Canada):
- You must have an active account with the carrier. Or, at least, you must have been a past customer with no outstanding balance on your tab.
- If you purchased your phone on a subsidized contract or if you received a debate, it should have been active for at least three months on the network. You might be not eligible for unlocking if it is under three months.
- If you purchased your phone for full price up-front, or if you got it on a tab then paid in full, then you must be eligible for unlocking.
- For prepaid accounts, you must have a sufficient prepaid credit to cover the fees for unlocking.
- Obviously, the device must not be reported as stolen or lost.
- You must have a good standing in your account.
Here are the slight differences among the carriers:
- You will pay an excess fee for unlocking it if you are no longer a current customer of Bell.
- You must have an active account.
- The device must be linked to your account.
- The account must be linked with your device.
- If you bought the phone from a third party, you should have registered it through your account more than three months ago.
- You can unlock any time if you have a positive tab balance.
- For having a negative tab balance, at least you should have been active on their network for three months.
Using an Unlocking Service
Aside from getting in touch with your carrier and asking them to unlock your iPhone, you can use a mobile phone unlocking service. Unlocking services are available in cellphone shops or online. These services will ask not much of a high price to unlock your iPhone.
I recommend you to try Unlockcodeshop. They promise to give back your money if the unlock is not a success. They also offer a 24/7 customer support. The team will be assisting you all throughout the whole process, answering any questions you have. Plus, you get to do the process comfortably in your own home.
How much will it cost me to unlock my iPhone?
Technically, you should not be paying any amount to be able to unlock your iPhone. NOT A SINGLE CENT. Your carrier should unlock it for free. But this is not the case in some carriers. They charge it reasoning out this ‘admin charges’. Third party companies will charge you less than what your carrier charges you.
According to Virgin Mobile, if you purchased the iPhone from them within the last year, it can be unlocked already. Too bad not all iPhone owners with older iPhones get the same luck.
BUT, there’s always a ‘but’ in every circumstance. If you can update your iPhone to iOS 8 or iOS 9, they can unlock it for you. This is bad news for those iPhones that are not compatible with iOS 8 such as iPhone 4 or older. You can go to a third party company or you can perform a full restore of your iPhone to unlock it. Simply connect your phone to iTunes and restore the device to unlock you iPhone. Backup your data first because restoring your phone will be wiping all of its data.
Is the unlocking process successful?
You will receive a confirmation regarding your phone unlocking that your phone has been unlocked from your carrier. Follow these steps after:
- Turn your phone off. Press the Sleep/Wake button then move your finger across.
- Eject the SIM card holder from the side of the phone using your SIM card tool, a thumb tack, earring or a straightened paper clip.
- Replace the old SIM card with the new one and place it on the SIM card holder.
- Insert the SIM card holder into the iPhone.
Can I update an unlocked phone without a SIM card? How do I do it?
Yes, you can. If you requested the unlock service from your carrier, but without the original SIM card, you will have to reset the phone before it will be unlocked. Make sure that you have requested for the unlock service from the carrier. Then follow these steps:
- Backup your iPhone. Either using Backup from the settings or by connecting to a computer and using iTunes to do the backup for you.
- Erase the content of your iPhone. Go to Settings then General and then select Reset and choose the Erase All Content and Settings.
- Complete the setup assistant then restore your settings from your backup.
- Your iPhone should be unlocked now. You can insert the new SIM card and it should work!
Here’s are some related articles you might want to check:
Please feel free to share your thoughts by commenting on this post, we would love to interact and answer your questions. Also, don’t forget to share this post.